Sunday, June 1, 2008

Night Driving Music for pale young boys

Dear Daughter,

Your Mum and I were talking about car trips we had when we were young. There was something magical about these long drives. My parents would put down the back seats and i could lay there under a blanket looking up at the stars and the passing street lights. I would imagine i was flying through space passing through galaxies. It makes me think of this song -



But if i was to name the best night time driving song it would definately be this one -



All this talk about youth and holidays reminds me of The Kinks for some reason. I guess it is their fascination in family life and all things pastoral. The Village Green album was such and extreme antithises to the popular psychedelic and rock albums being made at the time. It completely bombed however now it is lauded as a masterpiece. Another album of theirs that just didnt catch on for similar reasons was Muswell Hillbillies. A weird combination of post-war Londons housing issues due to the bombing played in a decidedly American style. This particular song is not the best representation of this however it does remind me so much of your Great Grandmothers fondness for the English obsession with tea. I was after all discussing my youth somewhere above before i did a Karma Police and lost myself.



To finish off lets list a few more great Night Driving Songs.



Forgive the quality but this HAD to be in here




And finally the best empty highway at night song ever -





Bookmark and Share

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love The Divine Comedy. They have done a few good car songs. I love Your Daddys Car. He paints a very good picture of youth. Well mine anyway.

Kate